Friday, May 21, 2010

M. L. Tate

If you need suggestions on how to address every learning style, grab Marcia Tate's book Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites. I was pleased to find I use many of her strategies such as movement/games (we set chairs up in a 3x3 block and play tic-tac-toe when we review for a quiz, the students are divded into two teams X's and O's), acting out a concept, writing songs or poems. One strategy I had not used was music. I have since implemented it into my lessons with great success. I thought it would be a huge flop and I kind of dreaded trying it because I thought I would have to deal with smart remarks about the genre of music, but the kids were curious! One thing I learned by trial and error was it worked better if some type of classical music was playing before my students entered the classroom. I shared this with my peers and team teachers began using it as well. Now the students ask what the title of the songs are and who the composer is!

1 comment:

  1. Marcia Tate was wonderful.

    This was my second time in one of her sessions and it was just as good as the first. Her enthusiasm is contagious and her strategies supported by brain research created a fun learning session that kept me interested in learning more.

    I enjoyed the format of her delivery and the book was a plus for us to take home. At the time of this session, I had a student teacher in my classroom, so when I took back strategies from this session to my mentee, I also shared and typed up some notes for my student teacher. We talked and talked about the benefit of this strategies and how we have to be able to meet all learners needs and to continue to Grow thos Dendrites.

    I was even able to share some strategies with my husband for his staff, so as you can see I loved Marcia Tate and I passed it on to many others to apply in their work settings for meaningful results.

    As I reflect on this session and my year as a teacher, I know the importance of incorporating these strategies, because if I think back to sessions that I've attended, this session stands out as the most memorable, and it's probably because of her content yes, but I'm sure her varied delivery was a plus in keeping the information that I learned in long term memory.

    Thanks again TSS staff for this wonderful speaker.

    ReplyDelete